As a member of the creative community, you may have come across a number of stock photo sources. There are the expensive ones, the affordable ones and the average. Some have low quality images, while other take price on premium offerings. And then, there are those that offer both high quality and affordability. One of them is iStock – the stock photo site powered by Getty Images. iStock has an impeccable reputation with over 15 years of experience in the industry, find more information.
Here are ten things you should know about it:
- Offers millions of high value, exclusive images. Images in the library are not found anywhere else. Other offerings include videos, illustrations, vectors and audio.
- Has millions of high quality and affordable images. Whatever design you are creating, the stock photo agency has it all. A wide variety of choices is just waiting to be uncovered.
- Accepts most methods of payment. How do you want to purchase your images? iStock accepts payments from PayPal, Visa, American Express, MasterCard, and even money orders from US and Canadian banks.
- Easy to navigate and search images. The stock site allows you to search for images by keyword, contribution, collection, file type, shape, complexity, size, details, color, light box, file number and other additional filters.
- Offers FREE photos. When you sign up to the website, you get free photos every week as well as free illustrations, audio clips and video clips.
- Supports many languages. iStock is available in multiple languages, including English, German, Korean, French, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, Polish, Italian, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
- Owned by Getty Images. That’s right! The stock image site was acquired by Getty Images in 2014, making it part of one of the top sources in the market.
- Founded in April 2000. It has been in the industry for over 15 years.
- Features one Signature Artist per month. Every month, a different contributing artist is featured to share the story of their art and what it means to them.
- Headquartered in Canada. If you want to know, iStock’s headquarters is in Alberta.
If you are considering iStock as your primary image source, you should know these top 10 facts about the stock site.
iStock allows you to purchase and download images in two ways: credits and subscriptions. Today, we are going to talk about the latter. Credits are the stock photo website’s very own currency and are used to download any file. They most flexible way to download images and the only way to download videos on the stock photo website. You can use them any way you want either buying just enough for your creative needs or stocking up for future downloads.
Unlike subscriptions, credits do not have monthly limits. They also never expire, so you can use them whenever you need them. Just make sure you sign in to your account at least once a year to continuously enjoy access. They are sold in preset packs – the more credits you purchase means the larger your savings. Simply load your iStock account and you can download images as you go. If you change your mind, you can always return your credit purchase within 14 days after purchase to get a refund. Just make sure you did not use any credits or else the refund will be forfeited.
What license will you get with iStock credits?
All image downloads on iStock come with a Standard License. This means you can use them in a wide variety of creative projects. But when you download images with iStock credits, you can add an Extended License that allows you to use them in a lot more ways. Furthermore, your license never expires. You do not have to worry about using your image downloads within 30 days or else the license for the file terminates.
Restricted Used or Images Downloaded with iStock Credits
- You cannot use images in unlawful, defamatory or pornographic manner.
- You cannot use Editorial Licensed images for commercial purposes, and vice versa.
- You cannot use the images separate from your project or end use.
- You cannot use them as part of a business name, trademark, logo, or trade name.
- You cannot use images that features a model and property on controversial topics.
- You cannot claim to be the author of the images.
- Unless you get an Extended License, you cannot use the image for resale or distribution, in electronic or digital templates. You cannot reproduce the images for over 500,000 print runs, too.
- With a Standard License, only 1 user at a time is permitted.
- With an Extended License, unlimited users within an organization is allowed. This means you can save the images on organization servers.
Choosing between credits and subscriptions is important if you want to get the best value for your money. Credits are recommended for a one-off or hard-to-predict use of images. You can get the Standard License and upgrade it to an Extended License if you want. Moreover, they never expire. These features make iStock credits a great way to purchase images.
Recognizing the importance of cheap stock photos are not only beneficial to buyers but sellers as well. The reason why better stock images cost a bit is because photographers and artists know their worth. They do not sell them for average prices because their pictures are good. Fortunately, cheap stock photo sites are available. They sell equally incredible stock photography for a fraction of a cost.
Here are 5 things you should know about cheap stock photography:
- Support the photographers and artists. While it is more budget-friendly to get images from search engines, they can be risky as well. Free images in the Internet do not provide you with the necessary licenses to let you use the images as you need. This can cause you financial and legal damages as you face copyright infringement issues. On the other hand, buying stock photos cheap from stock photo sites give you the license you need and let you give back to our talented artists and photographers.
- They are available in a variety. There are a number of cheap stock images in the market. In fact, stock photo sites offer millions of them in their individual libraries. Thus, you should no limit yourself to the first couple of pages of your search as they are often used by other people – most probably, your competitors. Try going beyond pages three to seven. You will find that other incredible stock are buried deep down, most of which are rarely used.
- Keep track of what you like. Some stock photo sites allow you to organize your favorite photos without actually downloading them. They feature lightboxes that lets you keep track of images you might use in the future. For instance, you do not need the images at the moment yet you feel that you can use them along the way. Keeping track of what you like will save you a lot of time from looking for a similar, if not exact, image again.
- Spend more time thinking about keywords. Cheap stock photos are tagged with keywords by contributors. If you have a photo in mind, you can simply search through millions of images by entering relevant keywords. This will narrow down your choices, giving you the opportunity to find the perfect images for your creative needs.
- Find the pricing and plan that works for you. Not pricing and plans are the same. Each and every cheap stock photo site has its own rates for subscriptions and credits. It is up to you to find the plan that suits your creative needs and budget. If you need one to two images on an occasional basis, you can do well with Pay-as-You-Go basis. If you require more than one photo on a regular basis, you can get the most value with a subscription plan.